Reading all about these cancer risks for an assingment I am doing (which I am meant to be doing as we speak).. it has made me rather anxious about my personal risk. I'm going to do a checklist, for fun, and amusement.
What are risk factors for endometrial cancer?
- early menarche - starting monthly periods early - before the age of 12 NO
- late menopause (after the age of 52) UNDETERMINED
- infertility (inability to become pregnant) NO (hopefully)
- never having children NO
- obesity NO
- being treated with tamoxifen for breast cancer NO
- estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) for treatment of effects of menopause NO
- diet high in animal fat NO
- diabetes NO
- age 40 or over NO
- Caucasian women YES
- family history of endometrial cancer or colon cancer (hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer (HNPCC) NO
- personal history of breast cancer NO
- personal history of ovarian cancer NO
- prior radiation therapy for pelvic cancer NO
Hmm.... as of this point in life, I'd say I'm pretty risk free. But, as the years go on, the relative risk shall rise.
If I don't die of cancer, what will I die of?
Road Accident (seeing as I dont drive, and am overly cautious of roads, I'd say my risk is low).
Murder (I don't have that many enemies, and I do my best to keep safe... sort of).
Cardiovascular Disease (I don't smoke as of now, and I am ... RELATIVELY ... fit... well, I walk very often.)
I like my odds.
... as of now.
:/
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Risks
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
the cancer that is killing...
Post a Comment