Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I'd say about two-fiddy.



An interesting point was made on the happydragon forums today, of the ownership of ones soul that is given from one to another in a form of a signature on a piece of paper.

I own 1/3 of someones soul, that was sent through Australian Post. It makes me smile that people do this at times, to entrust something (or rather, the idea of something) to another of which we know nothing about, or cannot be sure about. The existence of one's soul... much thought... much speculation.

Throughout this year and last I have studied this very thing under guidance of Paul MacDonald, a lecturer who I much admire at Murdoch. He specialises in Mind, Body and Soul, and I realised just then how much I am curious to know what his official stand is on it. I am almost tempted to ask, for I know no-one else who has given more thought and study into it.

I, personally, am quite undecided.

Having a biological and medical background, I am inclined to say no. To say we are nothing more than what can be seen. Instead of mind and soul; we have the a brain and a personality derived from our experiences of the world.

However, like everyone I am sure, I am keen to believe that there is something more, that there is indeed something which makes us all unique and true individuals. It is at times like these I wish I had faith in a religion, that I could put my trust into something entirely, that there is an afterlife, that the soul lives on.

Shouldn't the universe, life, and especially, consciousness cause a sense of deep wonder within? Do we take this mystery for granted simply because we are used to it? Should we not sit like little children before the wonder of the universe and ask fundamental questions?

All the beliefs that we may hold about the soul are deduced from wild speculation, of thoughts and imaginings. It is something we can never know, but should never ever stop questioning and hypothesising about.

Maybe I do believe that there is such a thing. I can't deny the wonderful things I see in the people I am close to, I can't ignore the sense of inner Being (notice the capital) that I feel when I am alone and quietly thinking. I guess this is faith in itself in a way, of which I am glad to have.

All I know is; I'll think twice before I sell my soul to another!

1 comment:

Elias said...

From my perspective, what endures of us when we're dead is matter and energy. We are eventually recycled, and our energy can never be destroyed, only changed...

It's the circle of liiiiiiife!!