Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fragile

I dreamt of a day in my life, familiar surroundings, but with strangers around me. A day, in which we questioned our own lives, our existance, throughout which we were constructing our own suits to dive into a deep abyss of nothingness.

These suits were white, with customised padding. I remember trying the head one on, it was so tough it seemed I could be protected from whatever was in that abyss, it seemed like we were invicible from all external harm.

I remember laying down, with a man sitting beside me. And we talked of how we were about to through with this... how we were about to embark on the greatest adventure of our lives.

The final walk, down the concrete path, we felt so peaceful, and calm, carrying the equipment for our suits. I remember seeing Mike in front of me, we said goodbye for he was not to come with us, he was leaving the next morning on a flight. I knew I'd never see him again, but we held it to a silent understanding that this was what was had to be done.

We knew that we were going to face our death in that chasm of darkness, and yet we welcomed it with a sense of exploration, and curiousity. For some reason I felt so peaceful, moreso than I had ever been.

----------------------------------------------------

This was what I dreamt just then, in the space of my short nap. I remember no faces but Mikes. Today in Philosophy we read the works of Lucretius and Epicurus, a short glimpse into that particular understanding of nature and the universe. It mentioned in it, the ideas similar to a verse which I had wrote about in this here blog a while ago earlier this year:

"No one finds it disturbing to contemplate the eternity preceding his own birth, and he took this to show that it must be irrational to fear death, since death is simply the mirror image of the prior abyss."

We discussed this idea today, and must have been sparked in my dreams as well. I was saying only the other day that my dreams lately have been lacking substance, I guess this confirms that this is indeed not true, for I woke up in quite the surreal state of mind.

How I do love my evening naps.

1 comment:

Elias said...

Wow. That read like poetry.

Interesting dream, I've heard that saying before, it's somewhat comforting.

Somewhat.