Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Opeth

Well, as most of you know, Opeth was last night!

I should have written something last night, or this morning, as the brilliance of it has faded with once again being shut into a lonely night on MSN, with insecurities about everything and the .. damn... haha... damn, I sound so pathetic.

Anyway, yes, Opeth was last night!

Met up with Ben and a few of his friends at about 6:30pm, to be later met by Roberto. Had a few drinks in Northbridge before we lined up for the venue. So many people, so many wonderful characters if only I had the time to speak with them all!

The opening band was decent, much of it though was spent at the bar, or on the balcony. Intermission... the anticipation.... it's all such a wonderful experience! I love that moment, of waiting, of the task of getting through the crowd to get closer. We got a good spot, I could see the stage the whole time, which is usually something which doesn't happen much.

Opeth came on, and played a hell of a decent set! Songs both new and old, with Akerfeldts delightful commentary between them that brought laughs from the crowd. The crowd was tame and respectable, looking around everyone seemed to be into it, in tune with the band and the songs that were played. Three cheers for Opeth, much kudos for them to come out and play Perth again! :D

Afterwards (c'mon, you pretty much know how the rest of it went), I got a call from Henry... "Hey Jen, you wanna meet Opeth?". He apparently handed the phone to one of the members, I don't remember much of what was said, as I thought Henry was confused... therefore making me confused. Anywhoo, he took us round to the parking lot area where the band was hanging out backstage.

And, I must say, I'm not used to such an idea of meeting a band after a gig, it's been something I've always wanted to experience, and had trouble believing it was actually happening!

Handshakes were had, and much kudos to Henry. Then I saw behind the gather Mikael Akerfeldt hanging around the door, so, naturally... I wanted to go say hello. >___< I went up, and said "Hey".. and yeah.. conversation was basically thankyou for coming to Perth, whats the next stop, what was it like touring with DT. And then I asked him for a hug, to which he accepted! Haha, I felt like such a tool for asking for one, but damnit, this isn't a regular occurance!!

Such a high afterwards, Henry gave me a lift home, the whole way in a state of amazement on how wonderful the night went down. Cheers Roberto and Ben for letting me go with! ^___^



When I got home, I had the strangest desire to call Mike and tell him of the night, even though I know he cares nothing for my passion for music at all.. Called Adamo, and finally spoke to Mike.

Went to bed at about 2am, I woke up devoid of feeling, piecing together all the events of last night. A smile was found, and I got up to face the day of relaxation and study.

I don't know whats happening with Mike. I really don't. I hate to ruin such a blog with my words on this, but I feel it is a fine reminder to me how *good* I felt last night. The stark contrast between realities, a reminder that music is once again an aid in being able to escape.

Things will make themselves clear, I'm sure of it. One way or the other. This whole distance thing isn't working out all that well, but, I am not one to give up so easily when I care deeply for another. Ah, so difficult, yet so worth it in the end, I hope.

Hey, you know, to finish on a lighter note.. it's funny, yeah, because lately I've been needing a hug, I just never did think it would be from the singer of Opeth. ^___^

3 comments:

Elias said...

I'd call it more than decent, It's one of the best I've ever been to!!!

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Hugs are freakin' great.

I love hugs.

Redundant and stupid as it sounds.

Hugging Mike akefeldt... Now there's one to tell your kids. Seriously. Autographs, photo's etc, pretty common. A hug however...

Aaanyway.

If you ever need a hug (and I'm around), let me know.

As long as you haven't been smoking.

Reece said...

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hugmr6.jpg
I believe this picture can paint a thousand words for you Jen, better than I can explain it anyway
I feel it is most appropriate to your current situation <3

Jen said...

Ah Reece, you always know what to say, to offer such comfort... I hope to see you round sometime real soon. <3

Haha, thanks Roberto. Thanks to you too for letting me tag along, and indeed, hugs are nice. ^__^