Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Trinity's Child

1:43am, had a long day at Uni today. Tomorrow I have off, thankfully, so I'm going to sleep in, and get some research work done. Our research project is due in exactly one day less than a month.. we've written about 1000 words so far together, long way to go.

Just ordered a Mastodon shirt off their official site, they have a lot of their merch on sale, and I thought: why the hell not? So, for $9.99 US + shipping I've got myself a neat Blood Mountain shirt.



So that's cool... a lot of things coming in mail, I bet at least one order is bound to fail and get lost.. or something. I don't entirely trust the post, or the internet. But it makes waking up easier, hoping to find a nice notification of package in the postbox. Having this extra cash won't last long, but, it's nice to be able to buy things I've always wanted without stressing or budgeting.

I'm reading a book at the moment: Trinity's Child. Very intense. Nuclear War. Mutually Assured Destruction. Reading this book, it makes me realise how very much a possibility it is that we can really destroy this planet, the knowledge has always been there, but the realisation of it hasn't. Wars (if there must be) should be man on man, long dreary battles in fields, tactical decisions. Motivational films, cheap guns, patriotism. Not nuclear bombs, not stealth fighters or shit like that. I don't know. War is devastating, but it's a reality.

I hate reality sometimes.

But yes = good book.

2 comments:

Val Fury said...

so now woudn't be a good time to say that i am absolutely kicking ass in ut2k4? better check what difficulty the bots are set on...

but yes, war. shit sucks. such a push-button affair now, gone are the days when you would shit yourself when the field-promoted XO calls out "fix bayonets!" and you pray a silent prayer that the marks that the CPS put on there with a bit of chalk and spit stay there, hoping that your rifle fires when you need it to, hoping your sword rends undead flesh before it rends your own, hoping that your spirit isn't bound, made into an instrument against the comrades that galliantly fight beside you, or the......

*puts the bayonet away*

>_>
<_<
>_>

Blood Mountain and Garth Nix make adam go something something......

Elias said...

Oh LoL man, that's some funny shit. I oughta reread that...

Anyway... Yeah, reality sucks sometimes. And a lot of the time humanity sucks as well. The assertion that we're nothing but a sore on the face of mother earth feels uncomfortably close to home for me sometimes, and the fact that the problems we have won't be solved unless there's a profit involved also makes me sad.

But there is light, even in all the dark...